The primary function of a Patient Care Technician (PCT) is to provide nursing care and support to a patient or group of patients under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- assisting patients with tasks that they cannot complete for themselves (i.e. bathing, showering, perineal care, oral hygiene, shaving, dressing/undressing, etc.),
- checking pulse, respiration, blood pressure and other vitals,
- responding to patient needs,
- turning and positioning bedridden patients,
- and recording treatment.
In addition to direct patient care, the PCT works closely with the Nursing staff to monitor the condition of the patients by:
- Observing and reporting to the Registered Nurse all changes in patient condition, observations or occurrences of an unusual nature in a clear and concise manner, and
- Documenting accurately all patient data on appropriate forms (i.e. Fluid Balance Record, Nursing Care Record, calorie counts, frequent viral sign sheet, etc.)